Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day One - Art Festival Cathedral City, California

This is a picture of me standing with a group of people. This shot was in the Desert Sun Newspaper, in Palm Springs. Friends called me when they saw the shot and said, "You're in the paper, you're in the newspaper." Well, if you can call seeing a side view of me in a white sleeveless shirt "in the newspaper," then there I am chatting away.

Steve is sitting at our booth. We made the mistake of using flowered cloths for our tables and the jewelry got lost. On Sunday, we switched out the cloths for plain burgandy and the jewelry looked much better. This was our first show and we made a bunch of mistakes, but we learned a lot.






As you can see, the pendants and the earrings look much better on black velvet.




















Key holder bracelets. Great for a house key and slip it on your wrist and off you go. Or use it for the gym key or your tiny credit cards like the grocery store ones and leave it in your car for when you shop. Despite the flowery tablecloths we sold a number of pendants, bracelets and earrings. And we met some great people - buyers and other artists. My friend and hairdress Drew Scott (I call him Scott), first told me about the show and how to enter. So when we arrived to set up I was so pleased to see that his space was close to ours.

















Scott took 3rd place in the juried paintings - and this was also his first big show. And over the two days, he sold a number of his great paintings over the two day event. Scott told me that he loves painting and working with different mediums to create his art. You can find his website at http://www.artbydesign.vpweb.com/

Next to Scott's space was Ted L. Reynolds. His work took first place in the show. I love abstract painting and Ted's work is really interesting.













Next to Ted's space was Gerry High (pronounced Gary). Gerry is a noted Palm Springs artist and he also has his own gallery on line at http://www.gerryhighartgallery.com/ Gerry spent some of his time painting which drew a crowd to his booth. He is a good artist and a really nice person. I liked him alot.

The artists were all great and interesting to talk with and compare notes. We learned a lot from other jewelry sellers like Pat Newman with her Dichroic Glass Jewelry.

And JoMarie Anton who has been selling Native jewelry for twenty years. JoMarie's space was right next to ours so we got in a lot of good gab time. And her jewelry is awesome. I don't know why I didn't get a picture of JoMarie, but maybe she was talking with someone or selling. I'll see her again and post more about her later. You can see more of her work at http://www.nativedreamlodge.com/ Check out her lovely necklaces, you'll be glad you did. Then way in the back corner was Kendra of Culbertson Designs. Kendra likes to work in pearls and she was great in giving me some places to buy pearls. One place she suggested was Quartzite in Arizona. I'm dying to take a trip there and see all the rocks, fossils and gems. It is supposed to be one of the biggest rock and gem shows in the world. I think that the big show is in the winter, but I'll find out and report back. These are aqua quartz earrings with sterling silver lever back ear hooks.

Okay, I've got to go now. It is 114 degrees today here in the desert. I've got the air on but it is still hot as Hades outside. Took Dylan to the dog park and stayed too long so now I've go a bit of a headache. Tomorrow, I'll post more about the other artists at the show including a sculptor from Fairbanks, Alaska who sculpts life-size horses out of stone.







2 comments:

  1. Great blog & pics! So glad this was a great success for you. I've heard the big Quartzite show is early Jan...per my local snowbird/bead shop owner..it is the 'big' one. Cheers

    ReplyDelete